[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
kreatious.net • View topic - Thought's on Iconomy?

Thought's on Iconomy?

Do you like Iconomy?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes : 27

Thought's on Iconomy?

by mattchuu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:07 am

I've been wondering about this. I've played on Iconomy servers where it's broken because they don't understand how to use it, and then there's amazing systems on other servers where they are fair priced and give every block a reason to be harvested.

What do you think? This isn't a thread on whether or not Kreatious should have it, but what your views on it are.

Please for the love of Notch...Jebb whoever, respond with some views. I don't want to see 50 yes's and 2000 no's and 3 comments on how "it sucks just because!!@!". I really want to see some good reasons.

Thanks all :3

~Chuu-chuu

P.s. This isn't a poll, not a vote. Remember that.

EDIT: 2 votes and no input, i'm just going to get a mod to remove it for me if it's going to be like that =/
mattchuu
Veteran

Re: Thought's on Iconomy?

by dritalia47 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 am

so basically the last servers i have been on (before kreatious of course :>) had iconomy and it was horrible. The prices become so ridiculous that iron becomes more valuable than diamonds......by A LOT. prices of objects that shouldn't be high SKY ROCKET and things like diamond become incredibly low. I just like the idea of working for your objects instead of just buying things. People also just start focusing on having the most money as possible and not actually building, (i have seen this before) people would gather resources just so they can sell them and have the most money or bragging rights. It just doesn't feel like minecraft when people are doing that :/.
"You cant kill me if im already dead. -suicides-"
dritalia47

by mattchuu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:38 am

mattchuu
Veteran

by Fluffy977 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:37 am

It takes the surviving out of survival if you do that. Because you can just get money and just buy things from that. However, if this was implemented, I would quit if the stuff but in the store was not legitimate, and it was unlimited, it has to be gathered and then sold to the store, but however, they can't just sell things, because the store would run out of money (if it WASN'T unlimited)

-Fluffy
Clans
Spoiler:

Ranks
Fluffy977
Resident

by mattchuu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:00 am

It doesn't have to be unlimited, limits can be set on how much is sold. And if it was put on the server it wouldn't even go into question if items like sponge bedrock etc were buyable =/.

I think it's trial and error. dirt/sand is easy to get therefore worth almost nothing. Obsidian on the other hand is harder to get. Yea, tape your keys down and ta-da you have 10k obby. But whats the difference between 10k obby and 10k obby worth of money? You can still sell both for the same amount of diamond. One is just much more organized.
mattchuu
Veteran

by tomvanberkel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:42 am

Reading this, keep in mind i haven't played on an iconomy server, so i might be completely wrong about this :D

Pros:
- It would be easier to trade. You don't need ta trade with items so if you do not have the stuff the other one wants you can just by it with money.
- You can sell your crap. Even though it doesn't make a lot of money, you can still sell a lot of crap to buy a couple of high value blocks
- Prices may be set so no scamming can be done.

Cons:
- it takes away the feeling of survival. Trading is a part of life outside modern civilization.
- Prices may be set so no scamming can be done. Although this is a good thing, it is also a part of life. Trying to get the best price for your stuff. and trying to trade for cheap.
- Another step away from vanilla by adding another plugin/mod.

I haven't played on a server with Iconomy so i do not know if it would actually increase the fun of the game.
tomvanberkel

by mattchuu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:25 pm

From what i've collected people would only use Iconomy if:
They were not spawned in (someone has to fill them)
and the prices can't be set globally, which means one person can sell bones for a diamond and another for 2 diamonds.

That's when i realized that we already have an Iconomy. Trade chests. Because what's been described there is trade chests. They have to be filled by a player, and the player set's the prices, the only diffrence is just no electronic currency.

psst! tom we aren't vanilla, zerg said so.
mattchuu
Veteran

by dizzydan2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:24 pm

hmmm iconomy is a risky plugin for servers because like you stated on some server's it works amazing but others awful. I personally voted no because I like the way we trade on the server now
dizzydan2
Resident

by kenny0011 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Urg.... My thoughts ;3

Iconimy runs on the basic idea of setting a set price on buying any block. Yet...

If we input Iconomy in, said item your trying to buy there's no item in the system... what happens then? We spawn in the block? We make _that_ block item decrease in value? If theres then a decrease in value, then the price has to reset it self to a new price.

Then we get into more complicated stuff... for a successful Iconomy to work in my opinion, we want a sort of thing that means that there has to be someone wanting to buy said item for you to sell said item. Taking this to IRL terms, if a company has 2000 products to sell, they wont be able to sell them if no one wants to buy them, take the Google chrome laptop book thing for example. Yet, if a product sells like hotcakes, the price can be risen if there are say 2500 orders for the product. It make sense... somehow...

What mattchu said that we semi already have an Iconomy is true. However, what we lack is a "guide price" of an item spreadsheet would be useful. As far as I know of atm is

32iron = diamond
Gold block = 1 diamond
1000ish cobble = 1 diamond
kenny0011
Donor

by mattchuu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks for all the feedback everyone it's really helped me see a lot of the sides of Iconomy.

Ya a spreadsheet sounds nice, but it would have to be a constantly updated one wouldn't or am i misunderstanding?

in the end, it sounds like Iconomy CAN be fun, but people would rather mine and gather resouces. Plus iconomy in the way that people would accept it would make it complicated.
mattchuu
Veteran

Next

Return to Archives